Monday 8 February 2016

Buster and She Who Must Be Obeyed - A cautionary dietary tail

Overhead conversations between my handlers alerted me to forthcoming changes.  High pitched happiness (which usually precedes dog-park outings) coincided with the phrase “Buster’s going to school!”. OK, I’ll bite.  Sounds interesting. 

If only I’d known.

A short car ride (I prefer the window down even in the coldest weather) resulted in the bonanza of all dog-parks – indoor, with a playground, populated by several dogs of varying shape and sociability.  We were given 10 minutes to extract vital biochemical olfactory information from each other’s butts - an enjoyable activity that terminated in the appearance of She Who Must Be Obeyed.  There are people who can travel through dogdom without even disturbing the air around them and there are those who reek of Power and leave the Smell of Fear in their path. Her first words to my handlers are “What does this dog eat?”  Female handler replies jocularly “The usual: fresh bread and butter.” No laughter.  Male handler quickly explains my dietary regimen to which She Who Must Be Obeyed replies, “Starting today he’s on half-rations.  After two weeks, give him half of that.” 

As she speaks, the word Noooooooooooooo escapes from me and I see myself lunging in slow motion to stop the calamity unfolding before me.  Except I couldn’t lunge because I was in a Stay.  As my head slumps to the ground I know my life in its present incarnation, is over.

As the offspring of trailer park parents there is nothing in my genetic code that would allow me to find merit in starvation.  Others of my breed are scrawny and nervous, the legacy of endlessly herding sheep with the occasional reinforcement of consuming one. (The ultimate Uh-oh). I, however, enjoy my food.  Pizza nights, fresh artisanal bread, those little bits of burnt fat from steaks.  Not that it comes easy, but with stealth and intelligence, much is possible.  As a result, unlike the others canines in our neighborhood, I have accumulated an impressive layer of fat; a symbol in the animal kingdom of success - nay - victory.  I have achieved my present state not through chance but through cunning and guile, the genes for which, sadly, will die with me. Damn you Darwin.

The tactics I use to accumulate calories range from simple trolling to applied physics.  Superior mass gives me free rein to elbow my way to the cat dish.  Feline protests, though painful, are rare.  The creation of elaborate distractions provides opportunity to inhale tender morsels of Rollie Roll that are intended for my toothless Rescue Dog Roomie cowering under the table. The occasional lapsed attention of my handlers can result in untended butter dishes on the counter that somehow fall to the floor.  (I am saved from consequences by the accepted dogma that disciplining after the fact when there is no longer a clear link between cause and effect, is pointless.  At this I laugh maniacally.)  Another tried and true scam is the “I haven’t been fed yet” con.  Playing one handler against the other, inserting the wedge and with the full force of emotion, eliciting a second feeding. Brilliant. Drive-by feeding is another under-appreciated source of calories.  Plates left untended on the coffee table, tasty morsels thrown by undisciplined toddlers over the side of the high chair, garbage left by the door…. The opportunities are infinite.  In short, a dog that settles for rations lacks imagination.

One month and 10 pounds later, I reassess.  Admittedly I’ve lost my waddle.  I can jump and run with more speed.  Ok, I can jump and run. The cats have more reason to fear me as starvation has heightened my senses, making me a more worthy adversary. In agility class I am earning the grudging respect of She Who Must Be Obeyed.  Yesterday I found myself walking the spine of the couch - something that would have led to disaster one short month ago.  As a leaner meaner version of myself, my eyes are wide open. However, when I close my eyes, I can still smell the fresh bread emerging from the oven.  A dog can dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment