Saturday 12 March 2016

Finding Your Inner Baba

Recently a friend describes how she brought her extended clan together for a Night to Remember party where departed kin were remembered accompanied by scalloped potatoes and ham. 

I look over at her. “You’re the Baba in your family.”
Her blue eyes grin back at me.  “ I know”.

Neither Ukrainian or a grandmother, she is as much a Baba as one can be. Babas aren’t necessarily Ukrainian, or grandmothers, or old, or even female.  My husband, I must admit, is probably a better Baba than I am. With roots in the backwoods of Arkansas and the mountains of Norway, he took up my culture.  His nature is to nurture – cooking, comforting, being there – thinking of the needs of others without inserting his will (there we differ).  I know my mother recognized this in him early on when she gave one of the last existing copies of the bible of Ukrainian recipes (Ukrainian Cookery by Savella Stechishin) to my husband, not me.  Dedicated, no less. 

Every race has its Babas. When we lived in Korea I would watch the Babas in action.  The word that comes to mind is Formidable.  Not just your kim-chi making Halmoni but judge and jury in family matters.  For me, that’s too much pressure. And you live with your kids. When we lived in Switzerland I saw the family matriarchs rule categorically.  Swiss women did not get the vote till 1971 because, as the women there clarify, “The man is the head of the household but the woman is the neck that turns the head”.  Seen it in action.  Don’t want the job.  Prefer my own head.

The trouble with archetypes is they’re often myths.  When many people think of Babas they see a wrinkled, rosy face enclosed in a huska (kerchief).  Squat and solid, with hands worn by work and legs bowed by arthritis, they hobble from stove to garden and back again. Their sphere of influence is paltry, limited to church and family.

Not today.  Today Babas are chameleons.  Jean jackets and tattoos; power suits and $200 hair cuts; polyester tummy pants and t-shirts stained with toddlers’ lunch; white hair and spike heels; sweaty and muscled; clay covered or paint spattered; birkenstocked and braless; Lulu Lemoned head to toe; wrapped in bright saris or hidden under burquas.

Some people are born Babas.  You can see them even as children, clucking and herding, watching and organizing. Babas are also made.  Though I didn’t have a Baba growing up, I watched the Super Baba, my mom, in action.  I also watched hundreds of other women fill this role, some were aunties, some I met only in a book or a newspaper, some walking dogs, some I worked or played along side of, some I invented through the eyes of a child. 

The point is that Baba, Grandma, Kokum, Oma, Bibi, Nonna, Ama, Popo is whoever you choose to be.

So don’t buy into the myths.  Find your own Inner Baba.  Whoever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment